Monday, October 10, 1988

R48 Raven Methodology


R48 Raven Methodology
24 x 24" graphite on panel
private collection

In making this larger graphite work, I was trying to link together the motifs related to the brain, to memory and to vision, that I have used in other works, or found interesting in my studies.  The familiar receptors and neurones can be found, as well as the mouse and  snail motifs, the fish, raven and book, and my favourite cell.bubble motif.

The title comes from the process involved in thinking through and building up this freehand picture (applying to most of my drawings and paintings), the searching of memory, the repetition and mutation of ideas (motifs) and the recording of them (the book).  Although a turmoil, the patterning is logical and limitless in its variation, hence the 'painting that never ends', the ideas that follow one off the other in painting and writing sequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment